Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Did not finish: A College of Magics

After struggling through Lev Grossman's The Magicians, I've pretty much had it with magical boarding school tales where the focus isn't actually on the mechanics of the school and its magic system, and where apathy substitutes for character development. I'm not really interested in a bunch of bored teenagers not doing their homework. Caroline Stevermer's A College of Magics isn't quite this bad, but Greenlaw College frustrated me in many of the same ways as Grossman's Brakebills College, and I'm not really willing to push through another three hundred pages (especially because the book moves away from the magic school) when all I wanted was Hogwarts for adults.

Why can't anybody properly write a Hogwarts for adults? Why does "adulthood" have to mean "ennui"?

No comments:

Post a Comment