Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The Twinings Tea Shop and Museum

Most people know that I'm an avid tea-drinker. There's nothing like a nice warm mug of deliciousness while you're writing a term paper, cuddled up in bed with a good novel, or sharing great conversation with a friend. I go through 50-packs of Twinings Earl Grey tea like candy. Of course, I also drink a lot of loose-leaf tea, my favorite being Naughty Vicar from the London Tea Room in St. Louis, but with the sheer amount of Twinings I enjoy, there was no way I was going to miss their shop on the Strand while I was in London -- especially after I heard they have a tea museum there too.

The shop is small and extremely narrow, and gets easily crowded, but gosh does it smell amazing. They have so many varieties that aren't available in the United States, or at least aren't sold at the grocery stores where I usually browse the tea aisle. They don't just have Earl Grey, for example, they also have Lavender Earl Grey and Blossom Earl Grey and Jasmine Earl Grey. Most of their teas on display have little sample jars so you can smell them. One whiff of their orange and cinnamon black tea had me swooning, and I'm definitely going to bring some of that back home with me. Can you just imagine a hot chocolate infused with orange and cinnamon tea?

At the back of the shop, they had a little tasting counter, where I tried a type of Darjeeling - a pity I don't remember which one, because it was particularly delicate and wonderful. They also had their very small museum, which chronicled the history of the shop, the history of their branding, and a bit about the history of tea in general. Did you know that Twinings is the official tea supplier to the British monarchy?

I didn't buy anything - shocker! - because I'm still working my way through a large box of Twinings Earl Grey which I bought as soon as I arrived in London, and because anything we bring home will be fresher and tastier if we get it closer to our departure date. This just means we'll have to go back!




I wanted to read every book in this cabinet
 
In case my friend who is writing a dissertation on the history of tea culture in Russia found this interesting!


3 comments:

  1. I've never been to this museum! I have to say, I bought some of their Lavender Earl Grey in much excitement and then really did NOT like it. But I love their Chai.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying your blog. Just saw this recipe for shortbread made with Naughty Vicar tea and thought you had to have it! http://www.saucemagazine.com/blog/?p=36832 Cheers. Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, that's completely fantastic and I thank you! That's my favorite tea! (And I miss the London Tea Room in St. Louis so very much...but happily, they'll mail their tea!)

      Delete