Tuesday, February 12, 2013

I'm a finalist in a book-collecting contest!

I have a really exciting announcement to make!  I submitted a (sizeable) portion of my personal library to the Duke Library Book Collecting Contest, and I've just been informed that I'm a finalist!

I spent a lot of my winter break putting together my application, which included a short one-page essay - and believe me, the enforced brevity made it far more difficult! - an annotated bibliography, and an annotated wish list of five books I'd most like to add to the collection.  It took a long time, but it was a really fun experience and I learned several things in the process.

First, being a book blogger really helped.  I'm accustomed to writing about the books I read and thinking about how they relate to each other, to my research, and to my personal life.  And it was nice to look back on my past reviews to refresh my memory when writing my short paragraphs on each book.

Secondly, I was amazed to discover just how cohesive my collection is.  While I didn't submit everything I owned - the point of the contest was to pull out a set of books related to a single theme - I hadn't realized just how similar many of my books are.  It would seem that the fiction I've started preferring since I began reading classics tend to have a lot of the same themes (not to mention the same nationality).

And finally (and perhaps most usefully for my comfort with taking time away from graduate work to read fiction), I was shocked to realize how much the fiction I've been collecting connects to my research.  I'm work with 16th-century English sacred music in its context of religion, politics, and national identity, and I have a real interest in understanding how these overarching themes played out in the lives of ordinary individuals.  How do everyday people experience the communities they live in?  How did women's experience differ?  Turns out, these are the same ideas I find compelling in fiction!  My fiction and my research are extraordinarily similar despite the gap of several centuries.

Plus, I may have convinced my husband that my book-buying has had a purpose...  :-)

I don't want to say too much about my essay itself - I'm fairly sure the contest would frown on that - but I do want to share a few of the details.  My collection is titled "'It is only a question of choosing one's parish and fitting into it': The Individual Experience of Community in English Fiction."  I selected 42 of my books for this set (and could easily have added more), including Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, E. M. Delafield, Elizabeth Gaskell, George Eliot, Margaret Kennedy, Vita Sackville-West, Anthony Trollope, and Mary Webb, to name a few authors.  The next step is to select a representative sample of these books and present them at the upcoming collection showing event along with the other finalists.  Oh, choices choices!

I've no idea if I've got a shot at winning, but I'm excited that I will have the chance to talk about these books to an interested audience, and perhaps convince someone to try one of my new favorite authors.  It's been a marvelous experience, one that has made me feel really confident about my ability to purchase fabulous books selectively.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! What an amazing experience (already and yet to come!). Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! It's been a lot of fun (and a great way to spend my winter break; it was both relaxing and good writing practice).

      Delete
  2. Wow, this is really awesome! Is there any chance to share more about the "The Individual Experience of Community in English Fiction" once the contest is done? In any case, best of luck with it.

    PS: 16th century music! As (a really musically illiterate) someone who's had a few painful encounters with texts about 17th century music, I'm impressed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! I'll make sure to inquire what the rules for circulating my material are. I'd love to share at least the essay and list of books.

      Yes, 16th-century music is my passion! I've sung a lot of the sacred and secular choral music in my various choirs, and even took lute lessons for a while and was just about able to accompany myself singing Elizabethan lute songs when I moved to grad school and away from my lute teacher and the lute I'd borrowed from him. But all's not lost; at least here I have a recorder consort!

      Delete