Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The case of the missing book

I'm one of those people who has a really hard time dealing when things aren't the way they're supposed to be.  Late last night I discovered that one of the books I've been reading has gone missing - Mollie Panter-Downes' One Fine Day - and I've been mildly distressed ever since.  My apartment isn't that big, but I can't find the book anywhere, nor can I locate it anywhere in my music department.  I even called the coffee shop in which I'd spent a little time last Friday, in case the book had fallen out of my bag.  This marks the third time a book of mine has just disappeared (the first was The Penderwicks, last spring, and the second was one of my copies of the Book of Common Prayer, perhaps lost in the move from St. Louis to Durham).  I mean, it's just a missing fiction book, it's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, but it really bothers me because I ordered it specially and because I was in the middle of reading it and now can't finish.  And because books shouldn't just go missing; they should always be right where they belong so that I can find them.  Maybe it'll turn up, but in the meantime I'm brooding a little.

Does anyone else have this problem of mysteriously vanishing books?  Have you ever lost anything you were in the middle of, or anything you were really attached to?  Please say it's not just me who loses books!

And here's a somewhat selfish question - does anyone have a copy of One Fine Day that they no longer want, and would be willing to trade it to me in exchange for another Virago?  I have several that I'd be willing to swap.

No comments:

Post a Comment