Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Much good news!

Oh relief, oh delight!  The lost book has been found, and the new book has arrived!


Well, I feel rather foolish.  I looked everywhere in my home for this missing book, I thought.  My last memory had been dumping it and other assorted things (keys, wallet, phone, library book for class) out of the bag I'd taken to campus on Friday on my bed, and from then...nothing.  I checked all the logical places (my books-in-progress stack on my nightstand, under the bed, among stacks of course books...) and then illogical places (I literally went through every stack of folded and put-away clothes in case I'd accidentally grabbed when I put away laundry that I'd folded on the bed).  And then, I finally thought to check the little drawer in my nightstand, which holds lotions and other miscellaneous toiletries.  There was no reason for it to be there, yet it was!  Yay, and don't I feel silly for my distress.

The second bit of good news arrived in the mail today:

  
 
Les Miserables, I affectionately dub you "the brick" because you are by far the longest book I own, and because you are distinctly brick-shaped.  I think if you had enough of these editions, you really could construct a house built on a foundation of epic French drama.  This unabridged version has 1,463 pages.


Just so you can see the difference between Panter-Downes' novel of reasonable length (184 pages) and Hugo's masterpiece!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad you found it. I can definitely relate, and I always wonder how I can lose a book that I was reading just a few moments before! The most memorable one for me was when I lost Anne of Windy Poplars. I searched the entire house and eventually gave up and borrowed a copy of it from the library. Then weeks later I found it...you'll never guess...inside the couch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inside the couch? That's a creative hiding space!

      Delete