Plain Sweet Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt, or plain yogurt plus ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the pieces of diced butter and combine, with your hands, until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk yogurt and egg until smooth. Using a fork, stir yogurt mixture into flour mixture until large dough clumps form. Use your hands to press the dough against the bowl into a ball. (The dough will be sticky in places, and there may not seem to be enough liquid at first, but as you press, the dough will come together.)
- Place on a lightly floured surface and pat into a 7- to 8-inch circle about 3/4-inch thick. Sprinkle with approximately sugar. Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to cut into 8 triangles; place on a cookie sheet (preferably lined with parchment paper), about 1 inch apart.
- Bake until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature.