Wednesday, December 12, 2012

High enough mission

Done!  After three hours of nonstop writing for my theology final this morning, my first semester of graduate school is complete and I am officially on break!  While there is still academic work to do over the next month, most notably polishing a paper I'll be presenting at a conference in February, I plan to take a lot of time for free reading.  The only real question is what to tackle!

That's a question for another day.  For now, I plan on taking a nap, drinking some tea, baking some cookies, and heading out to my evening rehearsal.  We've instituted two theology and musicology-free days at the end of each semester, so starting tomorrow, I get two blissful days of not hearing or thinking about church history or theological doctrines or music analysis or the English Reformation.

Forgive me for being a little brain-dead.  I'll leave you with a lovely quote from Christopher Morley's The Haunted Bookshop:

"Certainly running a second-hand bookstore is a pretty humble calling, but I've mixed a grain of glory with it, in my own imagination at any rate.  You see, books contain the thoughts and dreams of men, their hopes and strivings and all their immortal parts.  It's in books that most of us learn how splendidly worth-while life is.  I never realized the greatness of the human spirit, the indomitable grandeur of man's mind, until I read Milton's Areopagitica.  To read that great outburst of splendid anger ennobles the meanest of us simply because we belong to the same species of animal as Milton.  Books are the immortality of the race, the father and mother of most that is worth while cherishing in our hearts.  To spread good books about, to sow them on fertile minds, to propagate understanding and a carefulness of life and beauty, isn't that high enough mission for a man?  The bookseller is the real Mr. Valiant-For-Truth."

Kind of makes you want to go book-shopping, doesn't it!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful quote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many wonderful quotations from The Haunted Bookshop! A shame the novel gets spy-heavy and silly as it goes on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, doesn't it? We're right in the middle of all that spy stuff now, but nearing the end and hoping it gets back to all that wonderful discussion about books and book-sellers.

      Delete