Monday, December 10, 2012

Baking and Books: Gingerbread

My husband is out taking his church history final exam, so I had a quiet morning to myself.  That's actually been quite unusual in the last few months -  he's always up before me, so he gets to enjoy quiet solitude, and I'm usually in a little bit of a rush to get out of the house and to class or a voice lesson or the library.  Today, I enjoyed fresh-baked gingerbread, a mug of hot cocoa, and a bit of Katherine Swift's The Morville Hours.  It was heavenly.

So nice, in fact, that I wanted to share the recipe.  It's Technicolor Kitchen's "Pain d'epice," and the recipe can be found here.  I didn't want dessert, but a breakfast bread, so I cut both the honey and the brown sugar in half.  It turned out marvelously.  Toasted, with some butter spread on top, with a steaming mug of hot chocolate to drink and a good book to dive into...  It was a great morning.  It felt very wintery, even though it's been lurking in the 50s and 60s (and occasionally even 70s) here in Durham!

I hope everyone else has had a lovely morning!  And happy second week of Advent.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe, Sam! I don't usually go for gingerbread cookies but gingerbread itself can be very tasty. I don't have any fresh ginger but I'll make a note of it for my next foray into a grocery store.

    I'm looking forward to getting together for a tea-and-chat date soon. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too! If it's soon, perhaps there'll still be some gingerbread to share (or the Berlinerkranser I intend to start making today). :-)

      Delete