Sunday, June 3, 2012

Mostly childrens’ lit


Wonderful recent trips to local used book stores have proven to me that I’m a little addicted to the hunt for quality items at thrift prices.  Yes, I could go out to Barnes and Noble and purchase new copies at full price, but there’s something so exhilarating about searching through dusty bookshelves to find a treasure no one else has recognized.  Someday, when I’m no longer a student, I plan to collect sets of quality editions, but for the moment, while I’m on a student budget, I take a lot of enjoyment in used book stores, library book sales, the Goodwill book rack, and the raiding of my parents’ basements.

Anyway, I’ve picked up four books in the last couple of days, mostly to add to my growing collection of childrens’ lit:

-paperback copies of E.B. White’s Charlotte’s Web and The Trumpet of the Swan, both books I adored as a child.  I’m not sure I ever actually owned them.  Now I just need Stuart Little!

-a gorgeous Everyman Library Children’s Classics edition of Jean Webster’s Daddy Long-Legs.  This is actually the same edition I borrowed from the library when I first read it a few months ago.  It is a beautiful, dark green clothbound hardcover.  I’m now completely enamored of this series and hope to find more of these beauties.  I think they’ll be perfect for reading aloud to a small child someday.

-an old-school orange Penguin paperback copy of Wilkie Collins’ The Moonstone, which matches my copy of The Woman in White, found at the Greater St. Louis Book Fair.  Their orange color looks all Halloweeny, which suits these mysterious stories!  I can’t decide between reading them in the next two months for the Victorian Celebration being hosted by Allie at A Literary Odyssey, or saving them to read in the fall when I would really enjoy a spooky mystery.

Those are my exciting new purchases!  Have you found anything great at a used book store or thrift store lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment