Monday, June 11, 2012

Back!

Hello, we're back and very tired after driving for thirteen hours straight today (actually more, once you add in stops for gas and meals).  It was a lovely trip though - we visited my husband's aunt, whom I've only met once; spent time with friends from the music department and divinity school; had a very unexpected, last-minute invitation to a Durham Bulls game where I was taught the rules of baseball; spent a morning at the large local farmers market (peach ice cream and donut muffin both very delicious); and best of all, found the perfect apartment!  It's everything we wished for and more, and we're very excited to pack up all of our books and kitchen stuff (and furniture and clothes and everything) and move in.  All in all, a very successful trip, despite two very long days of driving!

In book-related news, I was actually able to do a fair bit of reading.  Thankfully, after a year in which I too-easily got reading headaches, those have largely gone away and I can now read in the car again.  On this trip, I mostly read childrens' lit, because it has larger print and simpler plots.  Several books helped while away the many long hours there and back again!  Unfortunately, I'm leaving again after just one day home, to spend a week visiting my mom and putting on a show with my barbershop quartet to help raise money for our trip to Portland.  I hope to write several book reviews tomorrow and put them up over the next few days, as well as catch up on posts from while I was gone.

Here's what I finished on this trip:
Ballet Shoes, Noel Streatfeild
The Bookshop, Penelope Fitzgerald
The Penderwicks on Gardam Street, Jeanne Birdsall
One Hundred and One Dalmatians, Dodie Smith

Here's what I'm currently in the middle of:
Treasure Island, Robert Louis Stevenson (for the Victorian Celebration)
God's Secretaries: The Making of the King James Bible, Adam Nicolson
Elizabeth and Her German Garden, Elizabeth von Arnim (for the Victorian Celebration)
Wives and Daughters, Elizabeth Gaskell (I've been saving this one for my long trip home to visit my mom; it also qualifies for the Victorian Celebration)

I'm very sleepy so it's off to bed with me!  I hope everyone had lovely weekends.  I found a wonderful new apartment for the next five to six years - what did you do?

1 comment:

  1. I've just barely started The Penderwicks on Gardam Street, having just finished the wonderful prequel. Looking forward to getting into it! Funny, also, that you mention Ballet Shoes; I just watched the (unfaithful but nevertheless enjoyable) recent BBC version w/ Emma Watson, and the older (much more faithful but slow-moving) version from the 80's. I have The Bookshop on my "to be read" shelves. Would love to know what you thought of it.

    ReplyDelete